Inspiration: What Inspires A Real Estate Broker – Enthusiasm is Contagious at Nardigras and RISMedia Seminar.
Written by JohnReinhardt
Being a real estate broker in the industry for thirty years makes you a little jaded. I would say that I’m hard to impress at this stage. My expectations for going to a conference might have sounded something like “I probably heard it already”. The trade show would probably bore me with the same old, same old. So, “Why do you go Reinhardt?” one might ask. I might have replied before this conference, “I’m not sure!”
But this time, it was different. In addition to satisfying my social expectations, I learned that one piece of information that will change my year and possibly my whole career. That’s what we hope for in a conference…and that’s what I got.
One of my favorite sessions began at 8AM (after a way too long night on Bourbon Street). It was the RIS Media’s recruitment session at the Marriott. The panel was great and informative, and I learned more during these few hours than I have in a while.
I never had the opportunity to listen to Dick Schlott before. Dick is a well-respected broker who did an amazing job of building his company Schlott & Company back in the 80′s and 90′s. Dick sold his company to Coldwell Banker and then moved out of the business for a while. Today, Dick is back and heading up Gloria Nilson Realtors in NJ and is doing some amazing things there. Dick told a few stories that really hit home and at times I felt like I was connecting with the past. I felt like I was chatting with my father, who was one of the best “Old School” brokers. Dick’s no-nonsense approach reminded me of what needs to be done in the company..now. It’s not that we don’t know this stuff already, but it’s the kick in the pants that we sometimes need to do what has to be done to be a true leader for your company. Thanks for the kick Dick.
Here are the Top 7 Points that I got out of the session:
1) The number one reason why agents stay in your company is because of your INTEGRITY. Never sacrifice a commission, or accept bad behavior and jeopardize your integrity. No commission is worth your reputation.
2) Change the name of branch managers to “Leadership Team.”
We don’t need managers today, we need leaders. People are attracted to leaders. There is a special aura around them.
As a broker, we need to be leaders in a big way! Do it Now!
3) We need to focus on “Selection and Development” instead of Recruitment and Retention.
Let your competition recruit. We can select and develop for our team.
4) When problems arise in the office and agents are complaining, “Take it to the Coffee Shop, and not the water cooler.”
Complaining causes a lot of chaos in the office. Get rid of the negativity immediately.
5) Company ads help build brand for recruitment purposes.
We typically advertise for customers/clients. Now, we should consider ads that will also attract recruits. Gear them towards the consumer, but the agents won’t be able to resist too. “Fillmore helped 2,000 families find their new homes this year”
6) Name the different services that your company offers.
People don’t want a hamburger; they want a Big Mac…something that is easily pictured in their minds. Brokers should provide marketing services to market the differentiators that they offer to the consumer. Package what we do better.
7) “Nothing great happens without enthusiasm,” was a famous quote by Emerson. We need to be enthusiastic about what we are trying to do every day. I know that this seminar has inspired me to be more enthusiastic.
Speaking of enthusiasm, I am now on a mission to double the company’s production in the next two years.
I will do this through recruitment, major structural changes, and enthusiasm.
I’m ready to take the steps to lead the company to the next level. I hope you are inspired too!